Thursday, November 12, 2009

Silent nights.

It's a mixed feeling. It was raining for days at end, to the point that I grew sick of it. All my washed clothes fell down and got drenched all over again. Initially, it seemed to be a refreshing change as the sky darkened and cool gust of wind started bringing the smell of earth to every seeking nose. But then the accompanying channels of water all over the place spoiled everything for me. To add to my misery, I found a cute pomerian hovering around a market, looking for a shelter from the pelting drops. Looked like it was abandoned by some rich family and some other canine had annexed its coveted kennel. It was a sorry sight and as I pencil in my thoughts tonight, my mind is consistently being drawn back to that poor dog. How desolate and lonely it would be now!

There is a little kitten that loves to stay in our dormitories. Her was a classic case of separation from her siblings and her mom. Her other frolicsome and perhaps more naughtier sister was run down by our relentless bus. But the fortunate kitten that our little one is, she was saved by our guards. She is as intrepid a cat as you would ever bump into. She has taken a liking to humans. She lifts her paw and chases your fingers deeming them to be some insect or her eternal foe, a mouse. If you are daring enough to get near to it while she is a bit sleepy, you can make out how much she loves being caressed or how she curls into a ball in your lap shedding all her fickleness for an hour of beautiful and rare peaceful sleep. I am a little worried about her. How would she survive the dreary winters and aberrant spells of rain? On second thought, every solitary kitten in the jungles or our gardens fight all odds and grow up and so our kitty would too! I hope she will.

For me years have worked the other way around. When I was a kid, the very sight of a dog appalled me. I steered safely past them and could never quite pat,caress or fool around with them. To me , they were a mad lot chasing rag pickers and suspicious men who never liked people drawing close to their meals. Cats were more deceptive and seemed more shy. They walked gingerly and were always on the prowl for milk or anything they could lay their whiskers on. As I have grown up, this sense of unfamiliarity has been replaced by a feeling of curiosity. I want to know them. Although I am yet to lift a dog/cat on my lap, there is a surge of love and satisfaction which holds me whenever I find a dog/cat engrossed in its own world chasing imaginary preys or enjoying forty winks on the beds of my friends. To them everything seems new and filled with possibility. They don't get bored walking the same lanes or sniffing the same soily corners. To them a park never grows old or a house never seems bereft of enjoyment. They would always find something to indulge in.

In a way, life too is a quest for that elusive thing that would keep us engaged all through. That one thing which we must seek all our lives without getting tired or bored. That little thing, procuring which, our faces would give the widest smiles of contentment. Take your pick. Live for it. Forever. Until you find it. And then rest in a benign way like the kitty on your lap.

4 comments:

Avanti Gaidhane said...

Ya that's what life is, finding what you want to find in life and that's what most difficult to find what we actully want to find in life.

Vibhor said...

Welcome back Bhai. Have been missing your blogs.. this one, like all of them is great. Keep writing.

...Abhiket+thoughts... said...

I hated when you guys used to call me "billi"....but after reading this blog...and after missing all the vidyapith guys, I wish someday,somewhere,somebody will surprise me by calling "billi"...

What if Life was like a google search...we can search the capacity within us or if before sending us into this world GOD would have told us "My son,you are going to take birth and you will do this job and for that I have given you such and such power"...as in the case of Pandavas ...life would be much more easier then.

People around the world have spent there life searching for that very goal...and most of them die without finding one....

I pray to God to help me find mine....so that i can sleep one day like that kitten....

Just another masterstroke from the master himself...... :P

ritesh said...

We are always freakish to have something new in our life, vouching to achieve new fascinating things...but we forget the charm and beauty of the present. The very simple things that appear banal to us has actually a lot to offer. We just have to look at it. Closely. Differently.

Really nice post.... Showed how there is so much to see and learn in the palpably insipid events of daily life. keep penning more.